Why Nova Scotia?

Why not Nova Scotia might be the better question. It's one of those exotic sounding places that I've never been to and that's reason enough for me. I plan on leaving around the 8th of May and spending several weeks on the ride. Along the way I'll be camping out, visiting unsuspecting friends , and maybe getting to ride along with them for awhile. Let me know if you're up to either!

CLICK ON THE PICTURES FOR A LARGER IMAGE, THEN USE YOUR BACK KEY TO RETURN TO REGULAR VIEWING.

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Mar 8 - Cold wet ride to Gold Beach & Brookings


Today was our monthly Bikers breakfast get together in Brookings so off I went, all bundled up in my red one-piece 'stich, electric vest, & waterproof winter gloves. This was the first day of Daylight Savings which meant my starting time of 7:00am was really 06:00am, still dark in my part of the world. Whenever it's raining & 38 degrees out it seems more like a winter morning rather than spring. Makes a body want to stay in bed, eh?

On the way south through Gold Beach the rain paused a few minutes so I stopped for a stretch and shot a couple of pics along the harbor. I love the bridge across the bay, they don't seem to build them with that architectural style any longer, probably too costly these days. Most all coastal harbors have their share of sunken or abandoned ships and Gold Beach is no exception. There's one close to Jerry's Rogue Jets, a popular tourist attraction that runs wide-eyed folks up and down the Rogue river. At that hour I was definitely the only tourist there.

Our turn out for breakfast was on the low side, barely a dozen or so hearty souls most of whom drove instead of riding. Blame it on gnarly weather or higher intellects, which ever works. I rode per usual as did Susan, one of the regulars. Unless she's off to Alaska or on some other adventurous ride she shows up, rain or shine. Our group is very diversified, some cruisers, some adventure riders, and a scattering of sports riders.

After the feeding frenzy ended it was back out into the familiar rain heading north towards Bandon and home. As I started across the bridge in Gold Beach it began to hail like nobodies business and I figured I was really in for it. Luckily it only lasted a few miles and then settled down into more miserable rain accompanied by wind gusts. Ugh, I don't like riding in hail.

Drifting through Langlois I paused again for another photo op, this time to record for all posterity the Greasy Spoon Cafe. Hey why not, how many more years has that puppy got? They're closed on Sundays so no inside shots but the I've eaten there (once) and I can honestly say it's, er, uh, different? The lady who runs the place is very nice and the locals who stop by for lunch are laid back and friendly. If you're in the area around noon maybe you should pop in for a burger or chowder? Places like the Greasy Spoon are fast disappearing from the American landscape and in a few more years many of them won't be around.

That's it, all done for today, I got home around 11:30am cold but not too wet thanks to the gear I wore. My email informs me the new volt meter for the bike is on it's way from the UK and should arrive early next week so I can start on another mini project. Yippee...

No comments:

Post a Comment