Why Nova Scotia?

Why not Nova Scotia might be the better question. It's one of those exotic sounding places that I've never been to and that's reason enough for me. I plan on leaving around the 8th of May and spending several weeks on the ride. Along the way I'll be camping out, visiting unsuspecting friends , and maybe getting to ride along with them for awhile. Let me know if you're up to either!

CLICK ON THE PICTURES FOR A LARGER IMAGE, THEN USE YOUR BACK KEY TO RETURN TO REGULAR VIEWING.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Anti-Hydration Part Two: Keeping your cool




If you research what happens to your wrinkly old body in climes of extreme heat you’ll find most problems are related to loss of water. This happens when your internal system says “Hey, it’s hot as hell out there so I’m going to sweat a bunch and cool things down.” Right.

That fact hasn’t escaped the attention of a whole bunch of inventive people and subsequently there are a ton of products to help you keep your cool. One item that is popular among bikers is the “Evaporative Cooling Vest.” For the most part they work on the same principal; when water evaporates it creates a cooling effect. Sooo…if you cover yourself with a wet vest – yuck – the water will evaporate and in the process you’ll be cooler. At least until the water is all gone and then you’ll just be wearing another piece of hot sweaty gear which you may want to remove.

Since I like to shop for gear (What, you didn’t know that?) I spent a fair amount of time looking at various web sites that feature cooling vests. What I found was most use the same or very similar materials for making their products. Oddly enough prices went all over the map from as low as $20 to as high as $250. Naturally there’s a difference between them but because of my minimal requirements I was fortunate to be in the lower price range. After looking at vests until my eyeballs were beginning to bug out I settled on one in the mid-price range, around $40 bucks delivered.

I haven’t tried it out yet as I’d probably freeze my patootie off if I did. I have confidence that the company that makes it knows what they’re doing so I’ll just wait until I’m in Roasting Dogs, New Mexico to try it out. It’ll work. I know it’ll work…

No comments:

Post a Comment