Why Nova Scotia?

Why not Nova Scotia might be the better question. It's one of those exotic sounding places that I've never been to and that's reason enough for me. I plan on leaving around the 8th of May and spending several weeks on the ride. Along the way I'll be camping out, visiting unsuspecting friends , and maybe getting to ride along with them for awhile. Let me know if you're up to either!

CLICK ON THE PICTURES FOR A LARGER IMAGE, THEN USE YOUR BACK KEY TO RETURN TO REGULAR VIEWING.

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Jun 27 – Cedar Rapids to Missouri Valley, Iowa






















Last year when Mac and I were preparing for our ride to Prudhoe Bay a devastating flood engulfed downtown Cedar Rapids and more than 10 square miles of surrounding property. This morning he drove me through the hardest hit areas where many of the homes remain unoccupied or abandoned. I recalled our trip was postponed by a couple of weeks because his new Ural sidecar rig was inaccessible due to high water. The floods of 2008 were declared the fifth largest state disaster in US history and it’s still possible to see why. What a tragedy that was, but as you drive through the area you’ll see lots of people working on their homes as they continue the rebuilding process.

After that we returned to Mac & Lisa’s place where we said our goodbyes and El Nino and I set out towards North Platte. A lot of today’s ride was difficult due to heavy cross winds and as a result I didn’t stop for many photos. My travel was generally on highways surrounded on both sides by rolling green fields of corn and soy beans, signs of prosperity in a land that has suffered its share of losses.
.
As I was leaving my lunch stop I was asked by an elderly lady where all the motorcycles were going today, seems she had noticed an unusually high number heading towards Cedar Rapids. I’m afraid I wasn’t much help as I didn’t have a clue but I proffered that she should avoid contact with bikers as much as possible, especially those who travel in groups. Am I gallant or what?
.
Around 2:30pm I felt the first unwelcome splat of rain and decided I’d better climb into Big Red before it got nasty. The sky towards the west had been darkening for the past couple of hours and I fully expected I’d get wet before the day was over. Spotting an abandoned service station parking lot I pulled over and did my usual gear change, then got back on the road. It sprinkled lightly for maybe 2 minutes and that was it for the day. I love riding around in Big Red when it’s warm out, it's so, uh, sauna-like.
.
The late afternoon found me in a town I’d never heard of, Missouri Valley, still in the state of Iowa but very close to the Nebraska border. Keeping an eye out for a decent looking motel I came across the nearly new Oak Tree Inn next to Penny’s Diner. To register you have to go to the diner which I did and checked in for the night. It’s the first one of this chain I’ve stayed in and I like their concept, they cater to the railroad crews so when you stay here they give you a voucher for breakfast at Penny’s. I ate dinner there – hot roast beef sandwich, mashed potatoes, GRAVY, followed by a slab of apple pie, and ice cream. Brrrap…
.
I’ve got to get this food thing under control a little better, maybe I should take up a hobby or something?
.
Maybe I'll trim my toe nails...

1 comment:

  1. Larry, that food sounds fantastic.
    We ended a long, hot, and frustratingly mechanical failured weekend at Quincy, MO, a nationally known kart track in a unknown place across the river from Quincy, IL. Many niggling yet serious breakages meant we were packing up to go before the warm up on Sunday when the fine folks at Margay Kart Mfg in St. Louis GAVE Noah a kart for the races. He did OK, passed a load of karts on the start (something which comes naturally or is a result of his Missouri State swimming stuff) raced hard and cleanly and being a new steed and all it was an OK race event. We fFinished all the races in respectable places, but not near a victory. Nuts. That, as you and most of our friends know, is racing!
    If you've a chance to visit Kearney, Nebr ..... its the home of Sandhill Crane migration both N and S on the Platte River. Spectacular in season.
    Ride safely friend, and avoid those construction zones, a speed trap in which nailed me big time in Illinois. Lawyer and all. Hell!
    Noah said he missed you when we got home.
    D & N

    ReplyDelete